Thursday, September 29, 2011

eavesdropping

I just got back from an interesting little coffee date with a friend.  We had all manner of conversation during this hour.  I personally had a lovely time talking maybe a little too loudly at Panera, laughing at the outrageous things we were sharing, and watching the young couple across the way go from playing footsie to sitting next to each other doing that hair thing.  I noticed people coming and going, but not really.  I certainly didn't pay much attention to the lady three tables over clipping her coupons until she joined our conversation.  Joined our conversation to the point of actually taking it over.  Really?

We finally made our escape and hurried out.  I sorta feel like I need a shower.  My friend and I laughed about that (as well as being relieved that she didn't appear to have heard the entire conversation.)

I'm an eavesdropper too.  I admit it.  I people watch.  I watch parents interact with their kids and smile.  I periodically glanced at that couple and rolled my eyes.  Sometimes I look like I'm reading a book, but there are definitely times where your conversation is more interesting than my book.  I've been known to actually open my mouth to make a comment.  But even I realize that is just not done.  At least most of the time I realize this.

The other day I was waiting in a small hallway for an interminable dance class to be done.  I had work to do, but neither the motivation nor the concentration to do it.  I was stressed and exhausted.  The last place I wanted to be was in this stinky, cramped hallway, but it seemed a good enough location for killing 45 minutes.  Another mom and her cute little guy were having a conversation.  She asked a question that he didn't know the answer to and my filter was out of order so I put out my answer.  I did a metaphorical face plant the second the words came out.  (A common phrase in my existence, "did I say that out loud?")  She made it perfectly clear that my answer wasn't wanted.  Uh, yea, sorry.  I'll shut up now.  And I'll do my waiting elsewhere next week so I don't interrupt your private playground.  In any case, my answer was "Simba".  Sue me.

So, yea.  I get the idea that people may be listening in on conversations and maybe some conversations shouldn't be held in a crowded place.  On the other hand, I think there is an unspoken rule, reinforced by the lovely young mother who might not have said those words as rudely as I heard them, that your comments belong in your head.

A note to creepy eavesdropping lady.  It is perfectly ok to insert your advice on making finger sandwiches, but it is not ok to give your advice on more personal matters.  Really, it's not.

No comments:

Post a Comment